St. Patrick’s Day Parade
The new committee for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade would like to thank Peter Kearns and Jimmy Russell, who together with Denis Naughter (who sadly passed away in August 2015) for their Trojan work in ensuring Arklow had a parade to be proud of. Peter and Jimmy have decided to retire after serving over 21 years effortlessly organising St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Arklow. This was a decision they did not take lightly, but having lost a very dear friend and colleague, they felt it was time to hand over the gauntlet to someone else.
The committee, whose members include: Colm Moules, Tommy Annesley, Tina O Sullivan, Vinny Byrne, Donal Molloy, Mary Burke, Dicey Reilly, Sharon Whelan, Jim Hoey and Peter Kavanagh, recently announced their plans for the 2017 parade. They would actively encourage everyone, both young and old to participate in the parade. They ask you make a special effort this year on Friday 17th March, 2017.
The following Cups and Shields will be awarded. These awards are open to all participants and will be judged on the day.
- Best Float (Chamber of Commerce Cup)
- Best Commercial Display (Bank of Ireland Shield)
- Best Non-Commercial Display (Arklow Traders Association Cup)
- Best Marching Group (The AIB Shield)
- Best Traditional Group (The Denis Naughter Perpetual Cup)
- Most Entertaining Group (The Paddy Lynch Memorial Award)
- Best Agricultural/Horticultural Display (Ernest Sharp Memorial Cup)
- Most Topical (Arklow Retail & Business Assoc. Shield)
- Best Shop Window Display (The Hickson Shield)
- Best Vintage Display (The John Swan Cup)
- Youth Award (Kitty Fisher Memorial Trophy)
- Best Uniformed Group (Elavon Perpetual Cup)
Forms should be returned to:
Cllr Tommy Annesley, It’s Fresh Main Street, Arklow, Co. Wicklow. Tel: 087 2508205
Jim Hoey in The Bridge Hotel, Bridge Street, Arklow.
While there is no entry fee, it would be of great assistance if you could make a small donation to help defray costs.
Arklow Music Festival 2017
The 48th Arklow Music Festival will start on Saturday the 4th of March 2017, and will run until Sunday the 12th of March. Visit Arklow Music Festival website for a full list of the competitions and a map of the venue locations around Arklow.
Local Pupil Wins Wicklow County Spelling Bee
Congratulations to 11 year old Brian O’Hara, a pupil of Avoca National School, who recently won the Wicklow County Spelling Bee. The competition was held on Wednesday last in Carysford National School in Arklow and Brian beat 23 other spelling competitors to become the County Spelling Bee Winner. He will now go forward to the Leinster Provincial Spelling Bee final. Arklow & District Chamber wish Brian the best of luck for that competition and hopefully he will be the Eason All Ireland Spelling Bee Champion 2017 when the All-Ireland Final takes place in June.